RESTORATION OF THE MAPLE RIDGE CEMETERY
The 1st Lewis County Clerk's Office
The 1st county clerk's office was built in Martinsburg, NY, the county seat when Lewis County was formed. In 1864 the New York State Legislature voted to move the county seat to Lowville. "The Brick Building" was no longer needed as a clerk's office. It had a long and varied history from 1864 until present day. Today, the Martinsburg Historical Society owns the building. The building has been restored to a more authentic look once the society was able to use the building. Many volunteers were responsible for the work done through the years. Now, as we celebrate our building and its designation as a National Historic Site, we are faced with major repairs to the ceiling, some sills and a replacement roof. The society is looking for private donations to help in this effort.
Type your paragraph here.
Through the Years
Top left: A grocery and feed store Top right: A fire station
Middle left: Building today Middle:Our sign Middle right: Front door
Bottom left: The clerk's desk Middle: Beautiful replica light Bottom right: Our stove
The Martinsburg Historical Society has been involved with the restoration of the town's abandoned cemeteries. Each selected cemetery has its own
story. Each time a cemetery is restored, a census is done to determine who is buried there and also, what veterans are interred in the burial ground. The first restoration was the Hogbacks Cemetery. Since that first restoration, the Ashback, Strader and West Martinsburg cemeteries have been surveyed and restored. The Town of Martinsburg maintains the cemeteries once the project is complete.
In 2017, the Maple Ridge Cemetery restoration began. It is a 2 year project that we expect to complete in the summer of 2018. This cemetery is high up on Tug Hill. The location was once a thriving Irish settlement. St. Patrick's Catholic Church was built atop "the ridge" and a cemetery was located behind the 400 seat church. The church was dismantled in the early 1940s. The settlement dissipated. The residents moved to places far and wide. The cemetery has over 200 burials. Those interred are primarily of Irish descent. In the 1980s a group of descendants organized and took over upkeep of the cemetery. When those people disbanded the organization the cemetery began to fall into disrepair.
The road to Maple Ridge!
Stone work by Artisan Engraving
Stay tuned for progress updates on this project.
PROJECTS for 2018